Characteristics of U Visas
- The U visa is a non-immigrant visa for foreign nationals who have been victims of crime and who are willing to assist law enforcement to prosecute the crime. The foreign national must establish that they have suffered physical or mental abuse, that they have information which would prove useful to law enforcement, and a law enforcement agency must certify that the foreign national is cooperating with them.
- The criminal activity must violate US law.
- The purpose of the U visa is to give law enforcement agencies a way to protect foreign nationals who have been victimized while in the United States or one of its territories.
- The U visa lasts up to 4 years and makes the foreign national eligible for employment.
- The immediate family members of U visa holders may also be eligible.
- After three years in U visa status, persons may apply to adjust their status to lawful permanent resident.
If you have been the victim of crime while in the United States, please contact our offices today. We will represent you in petitioning for your visa, and compile all the necessary evidence and information.
We will work with law enforcement officials to ensure that all details related to your case are in order for an expedient resolution. At Eaton and Associates, our sole focus is in helping people to legally live and work in the United States. Put our experience to work for you and call us today for a free consultation.