Eaton & Associates Immigration Lawyers

Eaton and Associates on Facebook

Contact us or call (661) 742-7007 and ask for our web-only
offer of a free consultation with our top immigration lawyers.

You are here: Family Immigration Adjustment of Status (Green Cards) Eligibility Requirements


World Flags

Our staff is multilingual, serving clients located around the world from our offices on the U.S. West Coast.


Whether you are entering America for the first time or pursuing citizenship, we will help you in the legal process.

Courtroom Gavel

With extensive courtroom and trial experience, we can defend you against deportation and other threats.

Experienced Scientist

We assist employers in obtaining H1B visas to help skilled international workers join their U.S. staff.

Green Cards: Eligibility Requirements

Characteristics of Green Cards

  • Green cards are permanent visas, allowing you to reside legally in the United States on a perpetual basis.
  • A foreign national may qualify for a green card through family relations, employment, significant investments or through special circumstances:
    • Family: you qualify for a green card if you are the immediate family member (spouse, parent, child or sibling) of a US citizen, or if you are engaged to a US citizen. You also qualify if you are the spouse or unmarried child of a permanent legal resident of the US. In all these cases, the US citizen or legal resident must be the one who files the petition on your behalf.
    • Employment: obtaining a green card through employment usually requires the process of Labor Certification. The exceptions to this are immigration accomplished through the EB1 Visa and National Interest Waivers.
    • Investments: a green card can be obtained by investing in specific ways in the US economy and immigrating via the EB5 Visa.
    • Special Circumstances: a Foreign national qualifies for special immigrant status if he or she is a religious worker, a medical doctor, has worked at the Panama Canal or for an international organization, is a juvenile court dependent, a member of the US Armed Forces, or is a citizen of either Iraq or Afghanistan who has worked for the US Government in those countries. Foreign nationals may also file for asylum.

Our Services

If you are considering petitioning for a green card, contact us today for a free consultation. Our attorneys are experienced, with a long track record of successfully helping foreign nationals to obtain visas to reside in the United States. At Eaton and Associates, immigration law is our sole focus. Put our expertise to work for you.

Whatever your situation, our attorneys are ready to consult with you to guide you through the immigration process to your greatest advantage. We will help you navigate the latest changes in immigration regulations, handle the complex documentation requirements, and follow up with all related government agencies for as long as the process takes to reach a successful conclusion. Contact us today by phone or come into one of our three offices in California or Oregon.

Fresno, California

744 P St., Ste. 311
Fresno, CA 93721
(559) 266-7007

View Map

Bakersfield, California

707 18th Street
Bakersfield, CA 93301
(661) 742-7007

View Map

Salem, Oregon

3890 Lancaster Dr. NE
Salem, OR 97305
(503) 339-7311

View Map
Open by appointment only